APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE!!
This was my room mates favorite by far. Its not a dessert sweet loaf but it has mild hues of warm slight sweetness. There is a caramelized apple layer that pleasantly surprises you. Its dense and perfect literally for a snack or breakfast or dessert. It's so delicious when warm with butter on top. Remember to buy all your ingredients bulk or at the farmers market, or at your local co-op!
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 banana or 1 egg (for binding)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup or 3/4 cup of maple syrup
1 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups diced apples
cut some apple rounds for the caramelized bottom. Maybe 8 slices
1. Preheat oven to 325 F
2. If you have recyclable cake paper then cut til it fits bottom of loaf pan and grease sides
Grease bottom and sides of pan with coconut oil/olive oil
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
4. Add in wet ingredients until smooth
5. Fold in apples.
6.(Read and follow instructions below for caramelized apple rounds)
7. After you put in your apple rounds and sauce, then pour batter over it.
8. Bake for 55 minutes or until ready.
9. Let cool and work edges away from pan with spatula or smooth knife, then flip onto plate!
Before you put the batter into the loaf pan:
Caramelized apple rounds for bottom of pan
1. In a small bowl whisk together
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2. Set up your apple rounds at the bottom of your pan
3. Pour mixture evenly on apple rounds at the bottom of pan.