MY GO TO ZERO WASTE VEGAN/GF TACOS:
Sweet Potato and Mushroom tacos with Cashew lime-cilantro sour cream
Looking back on when I used to eat a ton of meat and cheese, I remember thinking how hard it would be to cut these out but after eating meals like the one I made shown below; I don't miss those meals at all! There are some crazy statistics about cutting out meat and cheese even once a week. •If everyone went vegetarian just for one day, the US would SAVE:
-100 billion gallons of water, enough to supply all the homes in New England for almost 4 months
-1.5 billion pounds of crops otherwise fed to livestock, enough to feed the state of New Mexico for more than a year. (source: physicist Noam Mohr, New York University Polytechnic Institute.)
So behold, an easy and tasty way to help the Earth and its species re-coop! My best friend Sara (who is an amazing Nutrition Consultant and Eating Psychology coach) and I made this amazing dish and now every time we visit each other, we HAVE to make them.
First and most importantly, this meal is earth sustainable. All organic and/or farmers market vegetables, with home made cashew sour cream (Cashews are very resource extensive but I consciously use them, meaning not regularly). Second, this is packed with nutrients! Amongst them are B-vitamins, iron, selenium, protein, Vitamin C and so much more.
The above photo was everything needed for these tasty tacos, including the amazing cashew cilantro lime sour cream.
INGREDIENTS for tacos (serves 2):
1-2 medium sized sweet potatoes diced in cubes
2 big handfuls spinach
2 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
Spices you desire (I used Chile powder, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic)
1 lime (for garnish)
1 medium sized red onion chopped in strips
Maseca corn flour (can find anywhere and comes in recyclable paper sack and lasts forever!)
INGREDIENTS for cashew cilantro lime sour cream:
1 cup of soaked raw cashews (soak 6+ hours with pinch of salt)
1 cup cilantro
juice from 2 limes
salt, garlic powder cayenne to taste
DIRECTIONS for sour cream:
1. Throw in all ingredients in food processor until creamy. If too thick, add water.
DIRECTIONS for tacos:
1. After seasoning and olive oil, pop sweet potato cubes in oven on 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft and outsides are brown and crispy.
2. While sweet potatoes are in oven, caramelize onions and mushrooms with oil and spices (either in separate or same skillet). For convenience, when almost done, throw in spinach until lightly wilted or lightly sauté in separate skillet.
3. Throw in squeezed lime, soaked cashews, salt, and cilantro in food processor until creamy and fluffy
4. Read directions for Maseca on side of bag (mix water, salt and flour and roll out into tortilla rounds) Put rounds on pan about 5 minutes each side on medium heat.
(In short terms: sauté everything, throw potatoes in oven, make cream and roll out tortillas and grill in pan!)
Throw it all on top of tortillas and squeeze your garnish lime all over and enjoy!!! YUMMMMMMM