Mesir Wat lentil stew and Tikel Gomen cabbage dish! My all time favorite dishes to make and to eat. Both of these are vegan and gluten free and has so much flavor!
MESIR WAT lentil stew
2 cups lentils
1 yellow onion (minced or finely chopped)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
2 tbspns olive oil
4 cups water
3 tbspns Berbere spice mix (I got in bulk)
1 tbspn fresh or powdered ginger
1/2 cup tomato puree ( I didn't use this but authentically it can be added)
WHAT TO DO
1. In big pot put olive oil, minced garlic and minced onion on medium til aromas release and onions become lightly transparent.
2. Add spices and stir well and let simmer for a couple minutes. (If using tomato puree add that)
3. Add water and let boil.
4. Add lentils and let simmer til ready; about 40 minutes until soft.
TIKEL GOMEN cabbage and potato dish
1/3 cup olive oil
1 onion thinly sliced
1 head of cabbage ( I used purple cabbage)
5 potatoes (small cubes)
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tspn ground ginger
Salt/pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
1. In big pot add olive oil and onion. Caramelize onion slightly.
2. Add spices, cabbage, potatoes. Stir until all well combined.
3. Turn on low and let all cook together with lid on for 30 minutes or until all soft.
4. Should melt in your mouth. Soooo good. ENJOY!