ONE POT VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE CHILI
This dish is my all time new favorite. This is an extremely easy, filling, and nutrient dense meal for the Fall and Winter-. It’s cooked in one pot and takes little time with big pay off. Impress your plant based friends or introduce it to your friends or family that aren’t accustomed to vegan dishes and it’ll blow them away! My mom was convinced there was a ton of cheese in it. It’s creamy, warm, and so flavorful.
1 red bell pepper chopped
2 medium sized carrots chopped
1 zucchini chopped
1 medium red onion chopped
1 can of corn or 2 ears of corn cut from the stalk
1 can pinto or black beans
1 can of veggie chili
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 box of Jovial GF macaroni pasta or in bulk - enough to serve 4
4 TBSP of olive oil
1 heaping teaspoon of each - chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt
pinch of cayenne
3 cups veggie stock (you can use bouillon, or make your own HERE)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CILANTRO CREAM:
1 can of coconut milk (but you only need about 1/4 the can - save the rest for milk for smoothies ,etc…)
1 cup soaked cashews (soak in warm water anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours)
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
pinch of salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. In a big pot, add olive oil, onions, and spices. Caramelize them on medium low heat until they are transparent and light brown.
2. Add all the veggies - stir together and cover pot letting them become tender. Takes about 7 - 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add can of chili, beans, diced tomato and stir.
4. Add uncooked noodles and veggie broth then stir.
5. Blend up the cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, water, cilantro, lime, and salt until smooth and creamy.
6. Add half to chili and stir. Then add more to taste. If there’s too much liquid at this point in the pot, keep the lid off and wait until it evaporates and thickens a little more.
7. When noodles are ready and soft or al dente ( to your liking), you can eat! Add more of the cilantro cream and cilantro to garnish! YUMMY!